Winter Solstice, 2012, 12/21/12


What’s real?

You can use that question throughout this winter, which begins at Winter Solstice, as a means of bringing yourself back to center whenever you feel off kilter.

Off kilter is exactly how you will feel much of the time during the next three months, so I suggest you make friends with a sense of the world, your life, your body, your relationships, and your plans being quite akimbo.

Let me tell you a story to illustrate this:

When I was a young, rascally punk, my friends & I thought it would be great fun (i.e. dangerous) to explore some houses that had been built at a cliff’s edge - a cliff’s edge that had recently eroded to the point that the now-abandoned houses were dangling off the cliff at unnatural angles.

Once we were inside, we noticed the view out of the windows showed the shore & horizon at about a forty degree angle, rather than the customary zero degrees.  When we walked across the floor, we were moving both forwards & either up or down.  We could see right angles at the edges of the rooms, but nothing felt right in any sense of the word.  We were overcome with nausea, dizziness, light-headedness, a sudden & urgent need to clear our bowels, or all of the above.

This is what happens, apparently, when the information your body & mind are receiving about the very basic question of, “Which way is up?” is full of contradictions.  We are equipped with a balancing device in our ears that lets us know which way is up.  Unless we’ve sustained neurological damage, that little sensor is always right.  We are also equipped, however, with a lifetime of thinking of the ceiling as up - not somewhere between up and sideways.

Just so, you can expect to get conflicting messages about which way is up, which way is forwards, which way to go, & whether you are moving, up, down, in circles, in a straight line, or zig-zagging.  Your internal sense of orientation will be telling you one thing, but your conditioned ways of thinking & perceiving will be telling you another.  The Big Work this winter, then, is to tune in to that inner sense of orientation, and make your decisions based on that, and that alone.

In the meantime, I suggest you enjoy how special & different this feeling is, despite the discomfort.  I suggest you DO clear your metaphorical bowels, so you’re freer to move about in this peculiar & complex reality.  Let go, & be in a state of wonder & curiosity, orienting yourself with the question, “What’s real?”

What’s the astrological basis for me saying all this?  You know what?  It doesn’t matter.  What does it really matter, whether retrograding Jupiter in Gemini is in the culminating point of an exact Yod, & in a T-square; whether Saturn is conjunct the Scorpio Ascendant; whether there’s a mutual reception of Saturn & Pluto, who are in the guiding arms of the exact Yod; whether one of the dark & wily Lilith’s is conjunct the karma-releasing South Node in Taurus, which is square Nessus’ vindictive old poison, ready to instigate transformation; whether the need-for-newness Aries Moon is trine Mercury & Pholus’ bottle of mayhem in grandly leaping Sagittarius; whether a 5000 year calendar is ending, & another 5000 year calendar is beginning?  Do we really need to know all of that data?

No.  That’s the ceiling akimbo.  That’s the horizon at forty degrees instead of zero degrees.  Don’t make the mistake of getting so distracted by all of this confusing information that you poop your pants.  Attend to that urgent need to let go, and then tune in to that inner orienting instinct.

How to let go:
Whom do I need to forgive?  Do I need to forgive myself?  Hint:  You will experience great opening, healing, & redemption if you review your personal myth (the story you tell yourself & others about anything & anyone in your past, even the recent past) with a filter of forgiveness.

Whom do I need to have compassion for right now?  Am I being compassionate with myself?

What material junk could I destroy, give away, or sell?  What associations, memories, & expectations does that matter hold, & how would it feel to release that?

What is actually happening?  How does this differ from my expectations?  What would happen if I attended to & trusted what is?

What do I have to be grateful for?  Whom can I express gratitude to?  How would expressing gratitude rather than anger towards those I am judging shift both my own & their reality?

What aspects of my identity are in a state of dying & release? 

How to orient yourself:
What aspects of my identity are in a state of rebirth?  If I could reinvent myself, how would that new self feel, act, speak, relate with others, think, & perceive?

In any given situation, & in general:
What is real?  What do I know, with all certainty?  What do I honestly not know?  What questions do I need to ask?  Whom shall I ask?  What questions are currently unanswerable, & how can I accept that?

What is my body telling me?  How can I better respond to my body?  How do I need to think differently about my body?

Thanks, you, for reading.  I’d also like to extend warm & heartfelt gratitude to all of my students & clients - past & present, to my colleagues, to my friends & family, & most especially to my dear husband, Joe, for encouraging me to continue writing this blog, even when I’ve been overcome with existential angst about writing something for people I do not get to interact with in a human-feeling & heartfelt way.

Anyone who has known or worked with me, know that if you feel I’ve touched your heart, the feeling is most certainly mutual.  And for that, I thank you.

Have a wonderful winter.

Click here to schedule an astrology or Alithesis appointment.
rae13diamond {at} gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment